Sunday, November 27, 2011

Black Painted Shelf

Don't you love how creative my post titles are? (Not) Sorry I don't have any clever titles, at this point I am just calling them what they are. This makeover starts the same as all of my other makeovers do. This is a shelf I have had for a long time. This was given to me by my friend Johanna and I thought it was cute, but was not loving the color. I FINALLY decided what to do with it and just finished it! This will most likely go in my older daughter's room (if she wants it).


a little closer look

Drawers lined with scrapbook paper.

Okay now the before. 



The only thing I bought for this project was the knobs. They were $4.99 each. 
Total spent $10.00.
As you can see this is pretty much a mini version of the dresser  I did for my older daughters room. I wanted to hand paint the swirl things on the front of the drawers, but I lost my nerve and used stencils instead! I did hand paint over them to make them somewhat natural looking. 
I am putting home decor buying on hold as I had a few unexpected repair expenses around the house.
So stay tuned for more makeovers, revamps, transformations and re-dos!
I will also be sharing more crochet projects since I am crocheting a few gifts. 

Thanks for stopping by!




Confessions of a Stay At Home Mommy



Saved by Suzy
HookingupwithHoH

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Frame Makeover

It seems as though my post these days are a makeover of some sort. As I look around my house I realize I have had most of my stuff for a really long time. Instead of buying new stuff I have decided to change or update what I have. Here is one the projects I finished this weekend.

here is a close up
(my girls when they were little, aww!)

My little sister Tessa (also when she was little).
Apparently I don't change my pictures often either!
close up of the embellishments
\
Ready to see the before?


As you can see in the picture the girls are sitting on a green chair. My colors in my living room where hunter green and wood. I also had some couches that were kind of a tapestry pattern with gold, burgundy and hunter green. Anyway at the time these fit in perfectly. Recently I have started using light colors and my couches are a kind of caramel color. I'm still using green but a lighter shade so I thought I should update these. 

I started by spray painting them heirloom white. I came across a necklace that I had that had the perfect flowers to use.
I removed the little circles that held them together and spray painted them heirloom white also. 
Then here comes the funny part (ahem, not funny at all!)
I antiqued the front of the frames and the flowers and as I was gluing them on to the front I realized it wasn't the front at all!
This was after waiting hours for the glaze to dry AND I had even put finishing paste over it! 
UGH! Does this stuff happen to anyone else except me???
So I thought, okay forget the glaze it's too sticky and I don't want to wait for it to dry. 
I bought some rub in buff in antique gold from Michael's that I wanted to try. 
I have never used it before, and thought maybe it could make the antique look I wanted. 
I put it on a cloth and rubbed it all over the front of the the frame (after double checking it was the front)
And.....
I didn't like it. 
Sheesh. This project took a lot longer than I thought it would. 
I decided to let it dry overnight so I could get a better look at in natural light. 
And...
Nope still didn't like it. 
I didn't want to start from scratch so I used some tan craft paint over the top of the antique gold. 
It toned it down a bit and still let some of it show through, which was fine with me.

I know that was a very long story, but I didn't want you to think I just whipped it together, there were mistakes along the way. 
Anyway, after all that I glued the flowers on. The flower on the small frame came with the set that I bought to re-purpose my drawer knobs and I painted a thumbtack for the center of it.

UPDATE: The more I looked at these the more I felt they needed additional help. I didn't like the white posts so I painted them a walnut color (they were black before the white). It just seemed it needed more contrast, but not as stark as black. I also added some distressing around the edges with a brown ink pad. Oh and I removed the flower from the bottom right corner of the larger frame.



To read about the frames in the front of these two you can read my post here.
I hope you like them!

Amy

I'm linking to:

Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

Lovely Crafty Home








Thursday, November 24, 2011

Toddler Crochet Hat with Brim

I hope everyone is enjoying their time off. I have a crochet project that I just finished that I wanted to share. It's the first time I have done a crochet hat with a brim and unfortunately I don't have a cute little boy to model it for me so I had to get creative.






What do you think? 

I think it will look much better on a little boy, but I was anxious to post it. 

Thanks for stopping by!

Amy

I'm linking up to:





IhookedupwithHoHlamespice

Beyond The Picket Fence

Crochet Beanie with Ear Flaps

Hi Everyone!

I haven't had time to work on projects around the house because I had company all weekend, but I did manage to take a picture of  a beanie I made for my daughter before I started blogging. I found this yarn in Michael's and it looked so warm and fuzzy that I wanted to use it. So each daughter chose a color and I made them both beanies and a matching scarf. Well it's a very thin scarf but it's all that was left of the skein so I did what I could with it. Anyway here it is.



 I did this without a pattern but I think it came out cute. I am not that great about being precise. I usually read directions a few times and then wing it the rest of the way. I used a P hook to do these because the yarn was very fluffy.  Hope you are all having a great day!

Amy

I am linking up with:


button