Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Painted Desk

Hello everybody!

I am excited to show you the desk I just finished. I worked on it over the weekend. But had to add glaze and finishing paste to it so it was not ready for it's close up. It was my first time I glazed anything and I'm not positive I did it right but it came out pretty good so I am happy with it.






I found this over a year ago in a thrift store for only $30. I didn't have an area to work on things in my old apartment so that's why it sat for so long. The crackle finish on top was not motivating either because I knew it was not possible to simply paint over it. Anyway I'm so excited that I finally finished this project. Here it is before.



First I sanded the top really well. The sides and legs I just ran the sander over it to rough it up a little. I wiped it down really well and then I covered it with Zinsser Primer (not the oil based, just the regular one). After that dried I painted it with Behr Indulgent Mocha. This was actually left over paint that I used in my bedroom. It looks more white on the desk and in the picture. In person it doesn't look as white.The wall behind it is Swiss Coffee, so you can tell the desk is a little darker. I used wood stain to glaze it, the day after I painted it, and then finishing paste the day after that. I also used two knobs I found at a garage sale that I bought for $1.00.

I have so many other things in the house to paint. Two dressers, 1 desk, a bookshelf, a kitchen table, and possibly a coffee table if I don't make it into an ottoman. So keeping stopping by to see what is new!


Amy

I'm linking up with:


Domestically Speaking




Beyond The Picket Fence

Miss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog




Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. that is a really nice transformation you did on that desk! way to go!
    thanks for linking to catch as catch can!
    gail
    ps catching you this week

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made really well and the glaze, which you got for first time, also great. I was very nervous, I was painting my old pieces of furniture and glazing as well after finishing, I really matched well with my white painted furniture as I wanted.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and kind words!