Saturday, November 5, 2011

DIY French Manicure

Hello Everybody,

This is not a home decor or craft post because I didn't finish the project I worked on today, but it will be ready to post tomorrow. I thought I would share another DIY that you may be able to use. If you are like me your DIY inclinations do not stop at home decor. I tried for years to do my own french manicure, I used the little white stickers that you buy and tape on the end of your nails and I had seepage under the sticker. I tried  scotch tape because I though it was thinner and might not have seepage. Wrong, it did. Then I tried freehand painting a little moon shape from one side to the other of the nail. Ehh, it was ok but difficult to do without mistakes. And of course paid for manicures. Recently I found out a easy way to do it on my own.
 What do you think?



Excuse my one little short nail, but I think the white tip kinda hides it. 
So this is what you will need to do this.

Acetone
Small paint brushes, one with a pointy tip and one with a flat edge tip
White Nail Polish
Clear nail polish
Paper Towel
Small container for your acetone

Start with clean dry nails, shaped to your liking
Then paint the tips of your nails about 1/3 of the way down. 
Like this.

Don't worry about being neat, just slap it on there. 
Then dip one of your brushes in the acetone and clean the bottom edge with it turning the bottom edge into a straight line or an arch depending on your preference. Also you will need to dip the brush into the acetone before moving to the next nail. The paper towel is to wipe the excess nail polish off the paint brush.

*Note on which brush to use.
The pointy one seems to be easier to use in a swirling motion and when using the flat edged brush you use a pushing and side to side motion. 
I used the pointy one with my right hand on my left nails  and the flat one with my left hand on the right nails. 
I am right handed so the swirly motion is hard to do with my left hand.  

Next apply a clear coat over the nails.

Now you can spray with nail polish dryer if you want but this part is optional.

That's it your done! 

I know what your thinking. Yeah but what does the other hand look like? Here it is.

It's not perfect but I can live with that. 

The whole process only takes about 20 minutes. Try it sometime you will be glad you did!

Thanks for stopping by!

Amy

I'm linking up with:




The DIY Show Off


Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

6 comments:

  1. Great job! A French Manicure is classic

    ~Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your nails look super Amy! Thanks for sharing your secret with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! I have done French manicures on my toes, but I have not been brave enough to try my nails. You did so well though! Pretty nails always make me feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice tutorial on how to do a french manicure! I even have some acetone to try it. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Amy. Love the nails. Looks hard to do, but you did a good job.

    I have picked you to receive the Liebster Blog Award. This award is to showcase up & coming blogs with less then 200 followers. If you accept this award email me and I will send you the Award logo to post to your Blog and the rules to follow.
    Blessings.
    Audrey Z. Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy ... sorry this post went through twice. Please delete one.
    Thanks, Audrey Z

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and kind words!