Monday, December 19, 2011

Beachy to Beautiful

Well I finally finished the dresser I have been working on! I have been dying to show this dresser. I found it in a thrift store and actually knew it would be perfect in my living room. I didn't want a traditional entertainment center and I was previously using a T.V. stand, but I felt it was too small for the new house.


 I actually mixed my own chalk paint for the first time. I have been reading about it everywhere and was dying to try it.  I mixed 1/3 plaster of paris and 2/3 of paint with a little bit of water. It covered as great as everyone said it does. I did not sand the surface of the body of the dresser. For the top I wanted to stain it walnut so I used paint stripper and scrapped and reapplied and scraped and sanded and reapplied and sanded several times. My mom and dad even showed up and had a crack at it! It seemed to take FOR-EVVVER. When I finally got all of the paint off it still had a slight white look to it and it had some spots on the wood that looked like it had been filled so I decided to spray paint it with walnut color Rustoleum.




Here it is in my living room. I have to buy hardware to mount the flat screen T.V., so for now the 
T.V. sits on the top of it. 
The two top drawers have smaller knobs that I found at Home Depot
The bottom four knobs were a set of four from Pier 1

Would you like to see the before?


Not bad right? Cute in the right setting.
I loved the style of it immediately.

Here is the after again.



I didn't glaze or distress it, but I might do that later. I kinda just wanted to see how I like it like this first, although the little detail shown above would stand out more with glaze. I did apply Minwax finishing paste to it and am very happy the way it turned out. It looks good in my living room, I have remotes, 3-D glasses, video game controls etc. in the top drawers, dvds in the second drawer and extra throws in the bottom drawer. As much as I wanted the top to be wood stained I was really happy with the coverage that the paint provided, but it also still allowed the grain of the wood to show through. I used a gray primer and two coats of walnut and then wax on top.

Thanks for stopping by!

Amy

Pin It I'm linking to:

The DIY Show Off
HookingupwithHoHPhotobucket


Lovely Crafty Home

Funky Junk Interiors

Confessions of a Stay At Home Mommy

The DIY Show Off
button
With A Shot Of Brandy
Saved by Suzy


The Southern Product Queen

17 comments:

  1. Dear Amy, It is so beautiful and very decorative for your new house. I like it so much.. Best wishes..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dresser looks very nice painted all white. Good choice.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! This is so beautiful, you did an amazing job :) The dresser has such gorgeous details, and your simple but sophisticated design brings them out so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's darling! I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy, Thanks for linking up to my party! I love how this dresser came out! Can't wait to see what you have in store in the New Year!
    ~Kara

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! What an awesome transformation!! Great job! I would love for you to come party tomorrow over at Passionatelyperfect.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so in love with the project! It turned out beautifully! I'm excited to pop around your blog and see what else you have been doing!

    I'm a new follower and look forward to other great projects like this one!

    I'd love it if you'd link this up to my {Re}create Into Something New blog party! Every week we look at the the things we've repurposed, redesigned, ect. Basically if you did something to make it your own we want to be inspired by it!

    Kaitlin-The Not So Simple Housewife
    http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty! I like the combo you chose for colors too and they work well with the pretty knobs. I would love to see that little embellishment brought out though because the black is only repeated on the top of the piece and I think it would look really chic to do something equally dark with the embellishment. Maybe a darker wax to really make that stand out? I'd hate to see it get lost in all the white when it's so lovely. Overall, I think you did a great job with this! Such a cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw your link over at Saved by Suzy and just love your re-do! Love the color and the dark top. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so jealous you have this dresser! Can't take my eyes off it! And you did a wonderful job with the paint. Can't wait to see if you will distress it later. Would love love love for you to share this at my Best of 2011 party going on now http://space46.blogspot.com. Happy new year! My

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really pretty! Must try that chalk paint thing, can't bring myself to buy the Annie Sloan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! We have a thrift store find entertainment center at our house too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the idea of a dresser for the TV. Like you point out, it creates convenient storage for remotes and such. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute post! I'm having a Linky party too! I would love it if you would link up your favorite posts. Here is the link http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/one-stop-shoppe-linky-party

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for joining my linky party! This post rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The amazing details really make this piece opo! I'm your newest follower-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and kind words!