Well I finally finished the dresser I have been working on! I have been dying to show this dresser. I found it in a thrift store and actually knew it would be perfect in my living room. I didn't want a traditional entertainment center and I was previously using a T.V. stand, but I felt it was too small for the new house.
I actually mixed my own chalk paint for the first time. I have been reading about it everywhere and was dying to try it. I mixed 1/3 plaster of paris and 2/3 of paint with a little bit of water. It covered as great as everyone said it does. I did not sand the surface of the body of the dresser. For the top I wanted to stain it walnut so I used paint stripper and scrapped and reapplied and scraped and sanded and reapplied and sanded several times. My mom and dad even showed up and had a crack at it! It seemed to take FOR-EVVVER. When I finally got all of the paint off it still had a slight white look to it and it had some spots on the wood that looked like it had been filled so I decided to spray paint it with walnut color Rustoleum.
Here it is in my living room. I have to buy hardware to mount the flat screen T.V., so for now the
T.V. sits on the top of it.
The two top drawers have smaller knobs that I found at Home Depot
The bottom four knobs were a set of four from Pier 1
Would you like to see the before?
Not bad right? Cute in the right setting.
I loved the style of it immediately.
Here is the after again.
I didn't glaze or distress it, but I might do that later. I kinda just wanted to see how I like it like this first, although the little detail shown above would stand out more with glaze. I did apply Minwax finishing paste to it and am very happy the way it turned out. It looks good in my living room, I have remotes, 3-D glasses, video game controls etc. in the top drawers, dvds in the second drawer and extra throws in the bottom drawer. As much as I wanted the top to be wood stained I was really happy with the coverage that the paint provided, but it also still allowed the grain of the wood to show through. I used a gray primer and two coats of walnut and then wax on top.
Thanks for stopping by!
Pin It I'm linking to: