Friday, December 30, 2011

DIY No Sew Drop Cloth Curtains

Hello Everybody!

I have been wanting new curtains for my living room and I finally decided to make some out of drop cloths. My sewing machine is not working right now, so I decided to use a glue gun instead. I bought 2 -6x9 foot drop cloths and 2 packs of grommets and got to work. Here is the result.



Sorry these are night photos. 

Here is a daytime picture.



Want to see some before pictures?


This is what it looked like before we moved in. Do you see the baseboards? Those were changed within the first month that we moved in, thanks to my dad.


This is what it looked like before my painted desk and chippy mirror projects.

After those projects were finished.

And again the current picture.



The woven blinds were a gift from my sweet AND cute boyfriend. He even put them up for me too!

So here is how I did it. I first washed dried and ironed the drop cloths. Okay mostly ironed, well, ironed the top anyway, midway down I was over it so I started measuring to cut my holes for the grommets. First I folded the top edge down about 7 inches and ironed to crease.

Then I measured out where I would place my grommets and then used the template that comes with it to mark my lines. I then cut out the hole in the top layer and used the 1st hole to trace a second hole on the 2nd layer. Then just snap in the grommets. It is pretty easy.



Then I hot glued the seams. That's it. Here are some close ups of the edges.

By the way I used the larger grommets vs the small ones. 
The size is 1 9/16".


I bought mine at Joann's. The were $12.99, but I used a 40% off coupon for each set so I paid $8.40 each. The drop cloths were $9.98 at Home Depot. So under $20 per panel. Not too bad. Have you seen the price of curtains? The few I have liked were about $40-$50 per panel! I am considering stenciling these, but I haven't decided on a pattern yet so I put them up until I decide.

Thanks for stopping by!

Amy

I'm linking up to:

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Lovely Crafty Home The Shabby Nest









HookingupwithHoH Beyond The Picket Fence
Saved by Suzy
button

19 comments:

  1. Terrific idea! They turned out great!! I am now a follower of your blog and look forward to return visits. I invite you to join me as well at http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com Happy New Year. Hugs, Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! The weight of drop cloths is perfect for curtains. I was thinking of making burlap curtains but I might change my mind and use your idea instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be thrilled with the results. I did this in my boys room, and I LOVE them, cheap easy and looks great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at "drop cloth" -- I'm a huge fan of using drop cloth as fabric.

    The changes you've made are amazing!

    Stopping by from Debbiedoos ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen the drop cloth curtains before, but did not know about the grommets. Love this!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that you use the rings. I've been putting this task off but maybe now I will bump it to the front of the to do list.
    Your newest follower,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would never know they were dropcloth! They look great...like something out of Pottery Barn. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your drop cloth curtains! I am thinking about making these for my screened porch. Thanks for sharing! Sounds very easy and inexpensive project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got to get one of those grommet tools!
    love the curtains.
    came by way of the newbie party- Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your curtains! I have been toying with the idea of using a drop cloth to make some {and maybe a cute shower curtain}. Thank you for sharing your instructions :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Amy ... Love your drapes. I did some too, but the lazy way. Just draped them over the rod. Grommets look really neat.
    I have awarded you the
    Blog-on-Fire-Award.
    Please check it out at http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/2012/01/blog-on-fir-award.html
    Blessings... Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! You did a wonderful job on them and I do love the price. :-)

    I'm over from Debbiedoo's and now a follower. Stop by and say hi when you can!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, AMY! I love your curtains! They turned out so good! I'm thinking about making a shower curtain out of these. Oh the possibilities! Hope you're having a happy new year so far!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea!! Thank you for linking up to my party! I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the curtains! What an improvement over the shorter ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are awesome so I featured you at my Hookin Up with HoH Party!

    Feel free to stop by for a button if you'd like. :)

    xoxo

    Allison @ House of Hepworths

    ReplyDelete
  17. What section of Joanns did you find the grommets? I have been looking for the size and have not found them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Saw you on HOH. Had lunch with Allison today, actually! She's awesome. I made very similar curtains, but sewed them. How cool! I ended up selling them when I moved from Phx to Austin in Dec. Just wanted to say hi!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and kind words!