Sunday, February 5, 2012

Knitted Wristers

Hello!

I finally finished my first knitted project! Whew I can't say it was easy, but I think I finally have the hang of it. I did what is called the stockinette stitch to make some wristers for my oldest daughter. We saw these during Christmas at Forever 21 and I said the usual thing I say when I see something that doesn't look all that hard to make. "I could make these". Except at the time I didn't know how to knit so I figured I could crochet them. I looked everywhere for a crochet pattern but the ones I saw were not what I had in mind. So I learned how to knit. A coworker showed me the knit stitch and I turned to youtube for the purl stitch. Then I found a pattern at Michaels for these.

For Cheyanne- Mid length


The picture shows 3 different lengths that can be made. I did the mid length in gray. Here is how they turned out.


These only require one 3 oz skein and I used Vanna's Choice Silver Heather. The pattern said to use size 9 knitting needles. I did one whole arm with size 9 needles and it was too small. I never check my gauge like I am supposed to and I paid for it. I had to pull it all out and start over. I ended up using size 10.5 knitting needles.


 Aren't they cute? My daughter likes them and I am making another pair for her in Vanna's Choice "Dusty Purple".  These are a great beginner project and I felt pretty comfortable with the pattern from the beginning even though I messed it up a couple of times, I learned where I went wrong each time. Oh and I learned that apparently I knit the Continental way instead of the American way. I hold my working yarn in my left hand and use my right hand needle to grab and twist the yarn. I thought I was knitting like a crocheter but it turns out this is an accepted way of knitting just different than is taught here in America. You can find videos on You Tube if you think you are interested in trying to knit. I found the Continental way a lot easier and more comfortable.  I found a great blog that has short instructional videos to teach you how to knit. If you are interested go to Knitting Tips.

UPDATE 02/22/2012

I finished the second set and wanted to share them.



Thanks for stopping by!

Amy


I'm Linking up to:

Mrs. Hines Class

Remodelaholics

Just Winging It

  button
<

Mod Vintage Life
Photobucket

These Peas Taste Funny
Lovely Crafty Home

13 comments:

  1. Amy, I so love them. I've looked all over this winter for fingerless gloves and yours are beautiful.I do not knit. In fact, I got a Nifty Knitter for Christmas one year and couldn't even do that. I know I need to learn and this gives me motivation. Visiting from Debbiedoo's.Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing! I would love to learn how to knit...another thing to add to my never ending to-do list!

    They look soo cozy, I'd love a pair right now as I type from my chilly living room.


    Stopping over from the newbie party and am your newest follower. I'd love for you to come check out my (newbie) blog too!

    Sarah
    www.adventuresofourfamily.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are a must have for anyone living in colder climate and who's fashion conscious! I luv them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sooooo impressed. What a labor of love on your part, especially considering that you had to pull it all out and start over on the first one. I started my first knitting project, a scarf, a couple of years ago....it's still not finished. I really want to be a knitter.
    Thanks so much for linking up and inspiring us at Show & Tell!

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi. came on over thanks, to the blog hop. a new linky follower. would you please follow me as well. i'm enjoying seeing all these different blogs. it's such fun. i could really use these ... suppose to be a really cold weekend here in virginia. have a good weekend. (:

    elizardbreathspeaks@gmail.com
    http://elizardbreathspeaks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so impressed..,They are beautiful....Blessings, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. just beautiful!! I bet there is a market for this!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    my daughter is a big knitter...who knows which way?! looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, these are super cute. I can't believe you learned how to knit just to make them. That is so awesome and I bet your daughter is pretty happy about that!! I'm so happy that you shared them at our party this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! I'd love to learn how to knit, just as soon as I have a few extra minutes! ;-)
    Melissa
    www.lovebugliving.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greetings fellow knitter and diyer. I found you on lovely crafty home and LOVE your blog! I'm your newest GFC follower and I'd love for you to come visit my blog.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am inviting you come and be part of my blog hop:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/02/stuffed-green-peppers-show-your-stuff.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear, I'm really in trouble now. I must make these. Must. I am a writer with writer friends and we LOVE fingerless gloves, LOL! How long did it take you? The second set, I mean, when you had the hang of it?

    Adrianne
    www.happyhourprojects.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank You for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/03/show-your-stuff-13-chocolate-cover.html

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and kind words!